The 2016 Global Slavery Index estimates that 45.8 million people are subject to some form of modern slavery in the world, and in the UK alone the survey estimates 11,700 victims of slavery.
To help tackle this issue the UK Government introduced the Modern Slavery Act in October 2015.
MKM Building Supplies has a zero tolerance approach to slavery and human trafficking.
The policies we have in place along with our Anti-Slavery and Human Trafficking statement reflect our commitment to:
• Act ethically and with integrity in all our business relationships
• Enforce effective systems and controls to prevent slavery and human trafficking in our corporate activities ensuring that our supply chains are free from slavery and human trafficking
• Pay people fairly and properly for their work
Please click here to view our Anti-Slavery and Human Trafficking Statement for 2016/17.
This statement sets out steps we have taken from 1st October 2015 until 31st March 2017 to ensure modern day slavery and human trafficking is not occurring within our business or in our supply chain.
This statement will be reviewed annually and published.
What have we done:
• Within our industry we have global supply chains which are considered at a higher risk of being involved in slavery or human trafficking. We have contacted 343 of our Suppliers to ensure their compliance with the requirements of the Act and MKM’s code of conduct. 49 of our top suppliers have provided us with their Modern Slavery Policy to date
• We have implemented a training programme for our procurement team which included training on the Modern Slavery Act and how to respond to modern slavery if identified in our supply chain. All our procurement team are now trained on the Modern Slavery Act.